Cannabis-infused butter, better known as ‘cannabutter,’ is one of the easiest ways to create edibles. Creating weed butter may seem intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it earlier. Remember to ‘decarboxylate’ the marijuana first to benefit from its many beneficial cannabinoids.
Creating it only involves weed, butter, an oven, and a few other tools such as a cheesecloth, grinder, and stockpot. There are also machines such as the Magical Butter device that make it even easier. Once you have made your masterpiece, the next question is: What can I do with it?
As it happens, weed butter is incredibly versatile, so it was easy to compile a list of five great things you can do with it.
1 – Bacon Blue Cheese Dip
Whether you’re looking for a nice snack, or else you need something to serve as an appetizer, this delicious concoction will do the trick. Aside from the cannabutter (four tablespoons [tbsp] for this recipe), you need the following ingredients:
- Two tbsp of unsalted butter
- 3 teaspoons (tsp) of minced garlic
- 5 cups of heavy cream
- 16 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 5 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon
- 6 ounces of blue cheese crumbles
- 25 cups of chopped pecans
- 25 cups of chopped chives
- A baguette
After preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, melt the cannabutter and unsalted butter in an iron skillet. Add the garlic and cook on low heat until it is slightly golden. Take the skillet off the heat and place the melted butter and garlic into an electric mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese and start mixing. Pour in the heavy cream, and mix thoroughly.
Add in 2 tbsps of chives, 2 tbsps of pecans, and the blue cheese crumbles to the mixture and place it all on a cast iron pan that has been buttered. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. You’ll know it is ready when the mixture is bubbly. Let it cool for a short while and add the rest of the pecans and chives. Serve with warm pieces of baguette.
2 – Macaroni and Cheese
Mac and cheese is the ‘go-to’, easy-to-make dish for millions of Americans. In a matter of minutes, and with minimal effort, you have a gooey treat that really fills you up! You’ll be delighted to know that creating macaroni and cheese with cannabutter is almost as simple. Use the following ingredients:
- 5 cups of cannabutter
- A pound of elbow macaroni
- A teaspoon of salt
- 5 cups of flour
- 5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups of whole milk
- Black pepper to taste
Boil a pot of lightly salted water and add the macaroni. Stir occasionally and cook until it is al-dente; this should take approximately 8 minutes. Drain the pot, and melt the cannabutter in a separate saucepan on low heat. Add the salt, flour, and pepper and mix until smooth; a process that takes 4-5 minutes.
Pour milk into the mixture and stir for around 5 minutes until the mixture is bubbling and smooth. Add all but 0.5 cups of the cheese to the mixture, and stir until it is melted. Combine the macaroni with the cheese, and mix. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and get ready for a savory treat!
3 – Pineapple Upside Down Cake
You’ve doubtless read a lot of recipes telling you how to make brownies and cookies with cannabutter. How about something a little more substantial for dessert? Here is what you need:
- 12 tablespoons of cannabutter
- 7 canned pineapple slices from a can, drained
- 2 cups of cake flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 5 cups of light brown sugar, plus another 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/8 teaspoons of baking powder
- 75 cups of milk
- A teaspoon of salt
- 5 tablespoons of dark rum
- 7 maraschino cherries
- 2 eggs
- 5 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Here is a step-by-step guide to creating this magnificent cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a pie-pan (a 9-inch one should do). Place the pineapple slices flat on the pan. Make such they touch but don’t overlap.
- Combine 0.5 cups of brown sugar, 0.5 cups of white sugar, and 6 tablespoons of the cannabutter to a small saucepan on medium heat. Stir the mixture as the butter melts and spread it over the pineapple.
- Sift the salt, baking powder, and cake flour; set it aside. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the rum, milk, vanilla extract, and the final 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat the last 6 tablespoons of cannabutter for up to two minutes; it is ready when it becomes creamy and smooth. Add 1.5 cups of white sugar and beat for up to five minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat thoroughly. Cut the mixer’s speed to low, and add the flour mixture slowly. Continue mixing until everything is smooth.
- Add this batter to the pan, ensuring it is spread evenly. Continue baking for up to 55 minutes. You’ll know it is ready when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Put your cake on a wire rack and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake, and turn it upside down onto a plate; the pineapple pieces should now be on top! Add a cherry to the middle of each slice. Wait for up to an hour until the cake has cooled, and serve.
4 – Leafy Kale Salad
So far, each weed butter use has been a little ‘naughty,’ so here’s one for health-conscious people! This salad, with cannabutter vinaigrette, is the easiest recipe of the lot! All you need is the following ingredients:
- Up to a pound of kale
- 5 cups of slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup of cannabutter
- 1/3 cup of red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup of unsalted butter
- A couple of pinches of salt
Wash the kale, remove the middle stalk, and cut it into easy to eat pieces. Use a dry sauté pan to toast the almonds for up to five minutes.
The next step is to make the vinaigrette. Melt the unsalted butter on high heat until it is browned. Add the cannabutter and allow the mixture to continue being heated until the marijuana butter has just been melted. Add the vinegar and season with a pinch of salt. Add the vinaigrette to the kale and almond salad, and luxuriate in the fact that you’re eating something healthy for a change!
5 – Don’t Forget the Pulp!
Every part of your cannabutter is precious, even the leftover pulp which forms when you strain the weed through a cheesecloth or mesh strainer. Cannabis isn’t cheap, so it is a real shame if you throw away your cannapulp! Rather than dumping it, here are a few cool uses for your pulp:
- Pesto: Weed pulp looks a lot like pesto, so it makes perfect sense to add one to the other!
- Smoothies: Add the pulp to your smoothie mixture when it is in the blender.
- Soups & Sauces: When making a sauce, soup, or stew, the process involves simmering for a long time. Add in the pulp and enjoy the earthy flavor it provides.
- Breadcrumbs: Add pulp to leftover bread or spices to create breadcrumbs with a little ‘extra’. You can use them in your next batch of eggplant parmesan or homemade chicken nuggets.
- Garnish Sweet Treats: If making the pineapple upside-down cake seems like too much work, you can still enjoy dessert with a cannabutter twist. Add the pulp to any weed butter confections you make, or sprinkle it on top of store-bought chocolates!
Final Thoughts on Weed Butter & Its Many Uses
Ultimately, if your aim is to consume marijuana via edibles, learning how to make great cannabutter should be a priority. It is simple to create and is versatile enough to use when conjuring up almost any culinary delight you can think of.
The above is a VERY short list of weed butter uses but still comprises of an appetizer/snack, dessert, main course, and healthy salad. The list of uses for cannabutter is limited only by your imagination, and you can even use the leftover pulp!