Pizza is one of the ultimate foods for stoners. Salty, greasy, and delicious, you can even get this cheesy treat delivered right to your door. All of this makes pizza a fantastic option for when the munchies hit hard, and you are glued firmly to the couch.
But did you know that you can easily make your own marijuana-infused pizza at home? With a little time and effort, you can whip up a tasty snack that is healthier than most pre-made pizzas and saves you money, too. Better still, this cannabis pizza recipe contains a generous dose of THC and could get you seriously high!
Cannabis Pizza: It’s All About the Oil
You might think that making weed pizza is as simple as sprinkling your favorite strain over the cheese, and voila. Unfortunately, it isn’t quite as simple as that. If you use raw cannabis in your cooking, you will likely be very disappointed with the results. This is because cannabis needs to undergo a process called decarboxylation to activate its THC.
Fresh cannabis contains THC in its acidic form, THCA. Although THCA may have some benefits of its own, it will not get you high. For this, you need to convert it into THC, a process that requires heat and time.
The easiest way to decarboxylate cannabis is to grind it roughly and spread onto parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place it in a preheated oven at 230-degrees Fahrenheit (110-degrees Celsius) and heat for 30 minutes. Check on your weed and heat for a further 10–15 minutes if necessary. You will know it is decarboxylated when it turns from green to a lightly-toasted golden color.
At this point, you could sprinkle your ground bud over your pizza and have some effect. However, THC works more effectively when it is infused into oil. It tastes a whole lot better, too! Many people believe that coconut oil is the best vehicle for extracting THC. However, for an authentic Italian experience, we recommend using extra virgin olive oil for this recipe.
You will need around two cups of oil for every cup of ground cannabis that you use. You won’t use all the oil in this recipe, but the good news is that it stores well. Putting in a little extra effort now will ensure that you have enough infused oil to make several dishes.
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Olive Oil
There are many different ways to make marijuana-infused oil. The easiest by far is to use a slow cooker. Place your oil and marijuana in the slow cooker and heat on the lowest setting for 6–8 hours. Allow it to cool slightly, and strain using cheesecloth.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can also infuse your oil in a saucepan for 2–3 hours. However, for this method, you will need to keep a close eye on the oil to ensure it doesn’t boil and stir it regularly. For this reason, the slow cooker method is far more convenient.
Marijuana-Infused Pizza Recipe
- Preparation time – 25 min
- Cooking time – 15 min
- Ready in – 40 min
- Best Strains – Cheese, Pineapple Kush, OG Kush
- Each Bite – N/A
- Servings – 8
Once you have your cannabis olive oil ready, this marijuana-infused pizza is relatively simple to make. Here is what you’ll need:
For the Base
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pack active dry yeast (0.25 oz)
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp infused olive-oil
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- 2 large baking sheets
For the Sauce
- 1 cup passata
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 tsp oregano or mixed herbs
- Small saucepan
For the Topping
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese
- Your choice of meat and vegetables
- Mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Set aside.
- Place the warm water, yeast, and sugar in a small mixing bowl, stir and allow to stand for 10 minutes. The mixture should become creamy, indicating that the yeast is activated.
- Stir the oil into the yeast mixture and pour it into the well in the flour.
- Bring the mixture together with a spoon until it forms a sticky dough.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and turn out the dough. Knead it until it becomes smooth and elastic, around 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a clean cloth and leave it to rise for 5–10 minutes. The longer you leave it, the fluffier your base will be.
- While you wait, make the sauce by mixing the passata, garlic, and herbs in the saucepan. Simmer gently until the sauce reduces to your desired consistency. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450-degrees Fahrenheit (230-degrees Celsius).
- Once the dough has risen, knead it again, divide it into two, and roll out into rounds on the baking sheets.
- Top the pizza bases with the sauce, mozzarella, and any other toppings you choose.
- Bake the pizza on the top shelf of the oven for 10–15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Best Strains for Your Cannabis Pizza
The overall taste and potency of your marijuana-infused pizza will depend entirely on which cannabis strain you use. While most strains taste great when infused into olive oil, some have flavors that perfectly complement your choice of toppings. Some of our favorite combinations include:
Quattro Formaggi + UK Cheese
If you want to make your cheese pizza even cheesier, why not try UK Cheese? This pungent hybrid strain has a fantastic savory flavor and nicely balanced effects with an average THC content of 17.5%.
Hawaiian + Pineapple Express
Ham and pineapple are classic pizza toppings, and this classic strain is the perfect accompaniment. However, don’t be fooled by its fruity flavor. With a maximum THC content of 26%, Pineapple Express is a strain that really packs a punch.
Pepperoni + OG Kush
Pepperoni is one of the most popular pizzas of all time, and OG Kush is one of the most popular strains. With an herbal, earthy flavor that borders on citrus and THC levels between 20–27%, we think these two are a match made in heaven.
Marijuana-Infused Pizza: Final Thoughts
Next time you get hit with a pizza craving, there are plenty of reasons to make your own. You are in full control of the ingredients, meaning that your homemade weed pizza will probably be much healthier than anything you could buy. You will also save money, as you probably have most of the ingredients sitting in your cupboards already. Finally, you can infuse your homemade pizza with cannabis olive oil, making it both dank and delicious!
We have just one word of caution, though. If you are inexperienced with marijuana edibles, you should be aware that they take much longer to kick in than when you smoke or vape. You could be waiting anywhere up to two hours for your weed pizza to take effect, so don’t make the rookie mistake of eating it all in one go.
We recommend eating one slice and waiting for 2–3 hours to see how that affects you. If you still feel nothing after three hours are up, try another small slice and wait again. Overdosing on edibles can leave you feeling sick, dizzy, drowsy, and anxious, and this is not a pleasant experience. This is one situation where it is definitely better to pace yourself. So, enjoy responsibly, and you are far more likely to have a good time.