While CBD tinctures and capsules are convenient for daily use, there are more fun consumption methods. Experienced vapers may be aware of dabbing, a technique that involves inhaling vaporized CBD – but without using an e-cigarette. To do this, you’ll need CBD wax.
It is a highly concentrated form of CBD and a little goes a long way! This guide outlines what we feel are among the best CBD wax brands on the market. We also discuss the different types of wax, their pros and cons, the dangers of buying cheap, and much more.
- CBD hemp wax is super concentrated; it’s ideal for those searching for potent CBD.
- Inhaled CBD is fast-acting, and you don’t need much to feel an effect, so be careful if you’re a first-time user.
- Waxes and other CBD concentrates can bring out the complexity of terpene profiles, providing a highly unique and flavorful experience.
- CBD waxes are super fun to use on a dab rig.
- The downsides are that not many reputable/big-name brands sell CBD wax, and due to the expense and effort, wax concentrates are probably not the best option for daily CBD users.
Not in the mood to read the entire review? Check out our Wayofleaf’s Pick for our team’s #1 overall selection:
|Brand name||Extract Labs||CBD Living||Chakra Extracts|
|Duration of effects||9/10||8.5/10||10/10|
|Online customer reviews||9.5/10||9/10||8/10|
|Brand reputation / customer service||10/10||9.5/10||8.5/10|
|Link to purchase||CHECK PRICE||cbdliving.com||chakraxtracts.com|
|Coupon code||15% off: GET15||n/a||n/a|
|Full Brand Review||Read full review||Read full review||Read full review|
Best CBD Wax Concentrates of 2023: One Thing We Liked About Each Brand
|1.||Extract Labs CBD Crumble – WAYOFLEAF’S CHOICE||The best all-around option, in our opinion. Great price and a well-made product that dabs cleanly and provides a smooth inhale. Check Extract Labs prices.||9.6 /|
|2.||CBD Living Dabz Shatter – Most Potent||We had to include this on our list for all the wax and shatter lovers. Another CBD concentrate that is a blast to use on a dab rig.||9 /|
|3.||Chakra Extracts Terp Sugar Wax – Best Tasting||Incredible flavor when dabbed due to the abundance of pure cannabis-derived terpenes.||9.2 /|
Top-3 Best CBD Wax Concentrates | Reviews
We chose Extract Labs as the best CBD dab wax on the market mainly because this is a reputable company with a loyal fan base that makes high-quality cannabis extracts. Extract Labs has the fewest reviews on their official website, although the reviews they do have are almost all 4-5 stars. The company has also been featured in reputable industry publications for its innovative CBD products, and we feel they take the edge for the top spot, both for their CBD wax range and the brand’s quality as a whole. Extract Labs excels in the flavor department with various crumbles and shatters, including formulations of iconic strains like God’s Gift, Blue Dream, and Garlic Jam.
- Super fun to use on a basic dab rig
- Produces a clean, potent hit of CBD with powerful sedation effects
- Great for chilling out before bed and improving sleep
- Other than the crumble, not many other options to choose from
This is a great little company that has developed a solid reputation over the years. With its HQ in Corona, California, the brand (which was founded by none other than Bill Di Segna), uses nothing but American-grown hemp for all of its products. They also provide plenty of information on their unique nanotechnology process, which supposedly increases the rate of bioavailability of their products. Like the crumble from Extract Labs, the CBD Dabz Shatter from CBD Living is another super potent CBD product that has great effects on stress and anxiety, and may help some people obtain better quality sleep.
- Works well both in dab rigs and concentrate vapes
- Can be molded together to form a potent super dab
- Near instantaneous effects for anxiety and stress relief
- Unless you’re running a piping hot nail, you might have trouble getting all of the shatter to vape instantly
If the taste of your dabs is important to you, you’ll be blown away by Chaka Extract’s Terp Sugar Wax – a unique hemp-derived CBD wax concentrate that’s loaded with unique terpene profiles of iconic cannabis strains. On the dab rig, these different waxes smell and taste just like a regular marijuana dab (just without the high). Chakra Extracts also makes a wonderful Terp Sauce and Cake Batter Extract, which are both a pleasure to use on the dab rig as well. The Sugar Wax is available in six flavors, while there are over a dozen options for Chakra’s Terp Sauce. These include Black Lotus, Orange Kush, and Banana Kush.
- Fantastic range of terpene profiles that mimic the taste and aroma of iconic marijuana strains
- Options include Black Lotus, Orange Kush, Banana Kush, God’s Gift, Blue Dream, Garlic Jam, and more
- Easy to use on a basic dab rig
- A little bit on the expensive side
WAYOFLEAF’S CHOICE: Why Extract Labs Makes the Best CBD Wax Concentrate
Since CBD waxes are already highly concentrated, finding the one with the highest concentration is, well, a little bit of a paradox. The CBD Living range contains between 96% and 99% of CBD. However, the brand hasn’t updated its Certificates of Analysis (COAs) in well over a year. With 99.64% CBD, the Durban Poison option contains the highest concentration of cannabidiol.
Chakra Xtract doesn’t have that many lab reports. However, the brand’s Terp Slab has 99.99% CBD, as does its High Terpene Isolate.
Extract Labs’ range of crumble contains a lower amount of CBD than its rivals, although it does taste fantastic. Unfortunately, it no longer sells shatter, but its isolate contains around 99.7% CBD. It has been a while since it updated its third-party lab reports, too, although the lab reports for many of its products are still the most recent of the three brands reviewed here.
There isn’t a huge difference in price either; you can expect to pay between $30 and $45 for close to 1,000mg of cannabidiol. Yet, in our opinion, the superior quality of Extract Labs gives it the edge.
What Is CBD Wax?
CBD wax is a form of CBD concentrate. There are several forms of concentrate, including powders and crystals, but wax is one of the most popular types for dabbing. A CBD concentrate can contain up to 90% of the cannabinoid
Wax gets its name because of its consistency. As you can imagine, it has a balmy, crumbly texture, a little like wax. To use it, scoop it out of the tub and vaporize it. There are several ways to do this, which we will cover in more detail later.
How High-Quality CBD Waxes and Concentrates Are Made
When looking for the best CBD wax online, consider the type of extraction method used. In general, the top brands prefer to use CO2 extraction. It involves the use of carbon dioxide to remove the compounds from hemp or cannabis.
Manufacturers utilize high temperatures and high pressure to turn the CO2 supercritical. This means it becomes like a gas and a liquid at the same time.
Any CO2 that remains in the material after extraction evaporates. The result is an extremely “clean,” high-quality wax with no residual solvents. Typically, brands that use CO2 extraction charge a higher price for their CBD wax range.
Butane hash oil (BHO) extraction remains a popular method and involves the use of butane to take the compound from cannabis or hemp. The butane is left to evaporate to leave a highly concentrated substance. However, not every company successfully removes the vast majority of butane. The result is an end product containing the substance, which is known for being toxic to humans.
There is also the risk of explosion during the extraction process! Therefore, you should NEVER try to complete BHO extraction at home. We also recommend choosing brands that use CO2 extraction over BHO. Doing so increases the likelihood of buying a better-quality CBD wax.
How to Use CBD Wax (And Why People Enjoy It)
There are lots of advantages to CBD wax. Primarily, users enjoy hemp wax because it has a higher concentration of CBD than many other products. As with any concentrate product, CBD wax contains almost pure CBD. The best CBD wax products will contain upwards of 90% CBD, which is pretty impressive!
As a result of this high concentration, a little goes a long way with CBD wax. Although the containers tend to be small, you only need a tiny amount to dab effectively.
Another huge benefit is the effects of inhaling CBD. As vapers will know, inhaled CBD is likely more efficient than oral consumption. According to some estimates, the bioavailability (how much of a compound your body can use) of CBD vaping is up to 50%. Generally, researchers have found that it’s between 34-46%. This is incredible compared to edible CBD, which is estimated to offer between 4-20% bioavailability.
Therefore, if you eat a 100mg CBD edible, your body can use 4-20mg. Vaping or dabbing, however, provides you with much more.
Similarly, dabbing offers faster effects than other methods. Users state that inhaled CBD can take effect within just a couple of minutes.
- Dabbing: To dab, you’ll need a dab rig. This involves a heated nail that reaches a very high temperature. When you drop the wax onto the hot surface, it vaporizes, and the vapor is ready to be inhaled. It requires a bit of know-how but isn’t too tricky a process.
- Bong: Those who are familiar with bongs might find this method the easiest. Pack the bowl with wax instead of dry herb, and inhale as you normally would.
- Vaping: Make sure you use a vaporizer that’s suitable for concentrates. This method is easy, but you need to check if the product is compatible to get the best results.
Potential Drawbacks When Using CBD Wax
There are some potential drawbacks, however, as is the case with every method of CBD consumption.
One of the issues is a counterpart to the rapid-acting efficiency of CBD dab wax – the effects wear off quickly. While edibles take a long while to kick in but may last longer, CBD dabs take effect rapidly but don’t last as long. As a result, CBD hemp wax is better for quick-acting, short-term effects.
Another drawback is that many CBD waxes are isolates. Those who wish to benefit from the entourage effect will have to search for other CBD products, as CBD waxes tend only to contain cannabidiol and nothing else. The purer they are, the more likely they are to be CBD isolates.
Common Mistakes Made When Dabbing CBD Wax
Dabbing is a complex process that’s potentially overwhelming for novices. Setting up a rig can be intimidating, and because CBD waxes are sticky and hard to handle, things can get extra messy. To make things a bit easier, we’ve highlighted a few common mistakes people make when dabbing:
- Burning yourself or grabbing the nail: Many newbies think of a dab rig as a bong, which it is not. They reach for the bowl after taking a hit, only to touch a scorching surface. Dab nails get very hot and can cause serious burns.
- Overheating the nail: This is one of the most challenging aspects of dabbing. You must expose concentrates to very high temperatures to vaporize them properly. The ideal temperature is around 160–230°C (315–450°F). If you go above these levels, you risk combusting your CBD wax.
- Overloading the nail: The right temperature is key when dabbing. When you overload the nail, the temperature may drop, stopping the wax from vaporizing properly.
- Not holding the rig properly: A failure to grip the dab rig properly is another issue. This can cause you to burn yourself or possibly even drop and break the entire rig. Generally, you should only hold one hand on the rig – around the base or main chamber. The other hand adds CBD wax to the rig while you gently press your mouth against the mouthpiece.
The Dangers of Buying Cheap CBD Wax
When you try to buy CBD wax online, you’ll probably consider it expensive. The temptation in this situation is to look for cheap wax. Unfortunately, this is a tactic that could cause serious harm to your health!
Whether you like it or not, high-quality CBD is expensive! This is because top-rated brands offer the following:
- Organic hemp cultivated by experts in an EU or American farm
- Good manufacturing practices
- Co2 extraction
- Third-party lab reports
- Highly-trained staff
- Detailed and accurate labeling
- An efficient and reliable delivery system
- Novel Food Registration
- Branding and marketing
Ultimately, CBD wax should NOT be cheap because it is costly to create, and ensuring it is safe and of good quality is also an expensive process.
Imagine buying cheap CBD wax from a brand that doesn’t provide third-party lab reports. You would have no idea where the company sourced its hemp, nor would you be aware of whether the product contains pesticides, heavy metals, or other chemicals. You wouldn’t even know how much CBD is in the wax, and you certainly would have no clue whether there are residual solvents.
If a brand uses BHO extraction, some residual solvent inevitably remains. For the record, there are maximum legal limits. In Colorado, for example, the limit for butane is 5,000ppm. Remember, that’s the law and doesn’t necessarily mean that it is healthy to consume CBD wax with 4,500ppm, for instance!
It is foolish to take chances when it comes to your health, which means it’s best not to purchase cheap CBD wax.
Is CBD Wax Safe?
There are concerns about THC wax due to reports of major side effects. However, as CBD doesn’t cause an intoxicating high, it has fewer adverse effects. Research to date shows that, as long as the cannabidiol is pure and comes from a reputable source, it is well tolerated in humans. So, no buying cheap wax from sellers with a dubious reputation!
Research published in the Journal of Clinical Medicine in 2019 analyzed 25 studies on CBD’s effects. The researchers found that the administration of CBD was “well tolerated with mild side effects.”
More pertinently, perhaps, a study published in CNS Drugs in 2019 found that humans tolerated single CBD doses of up to 6000mg without suffering significant ill effects. This bodes well for anyone looking to consume large quantities of cannabidiol via wax or another form of concentrate. However, we still recommend beginning with a relatively small amount at first to see how your body reacts.
As we mentioned before, it was a tough decision coming up with a clear winner here. We’ve decided to pick Extract Labs as our #1 CBD wax brand, as it is only slightly more expensive than CBD Living but we feel it provides a superior range of quality and flavors. Although Chakra Xtracts provides the best overall collection, it doesn’t quite match the other two for popularity or credibility.
In reality, we feel that you will enjoy the CBD wax sold by any one of these three brands. If you want to try some of the wax and other dab products from Extract Labs, however, order using the link below and an exclusive coupon code will automatically be place to your entire order: