There are more ways than ever to consume CBD. While CBD tinctures and capsules might be convenient for daily use, there are plenty more methods that are a bit more fun. Experienced vapers may be aware of dabbing, a technique that involves inhaling vaporized CBD – but without the use of an e-cigarette. To do this, you’ll need CBD wax.
If you’re new to the world of CBD concentrates, then you might be a little lost. And even veteran users are always on the lookout for the best CBD waxes on the market today. In this guide, we will be reviewing the best CBD wax of 2020.
Plus, we cover some of the basics of CBD dab wax, so stay tuned to learn everything you need to know.
What Is CBD Wax?
CBD wax is a form of CBD concentrates. There are several forms of concentrate, including powders and crystals, but wax is one of the most popular types for dabbing.
A CBD concentrate, by the way, is a super-concentrated form of CBD. In other words, it’s a substance that’s almost pure cannabidiol – most manufacturers make concentrates containing upwards of 90% CBD. As a result, concentrates are super potent.
Wax gets its name because of its consistency. As you can imagine, it has a balmy, crumbly texture, a little like wax. To use it, you scoop it out of the tub and vaporize it. There are several ways to do this, which we cover in more detail later. Remember, since CBD wax is so concentrated, a little goes a long way!
Pros and Cons of Using CBD Wax
- CBD hemp wax is super concentrated; it’s ideal for those in search of potent CBD.
- Inhaled CBD is thought to be super fast-acting and effective.
- For those who enjoy the complex flavors of terpenes, hemp wax can be delicious.
- A little goes a long way, so you don’t have to buy a new product continually.
- Compared to other products, CBD wax is a fun way to consume.
- Concentrates such as CBD wax can be expensive.
- You have to buy other objects to use the wax, such as a dab rig, driving up the initial cost.
- Not many brands sell CBD wax, let alone high-quality products.
- Due to the expense and effort, CBD wax is probably not the best option for daily use.
EDITOR’S CHOICE – CBD LIVING
Spoiler alert – we chose CBD Living as the best CBD dab wax of 2020. CBD Living beat our other brands in terms of flavor, price, and popularity. Read on to learn more.
What Are the Different Types of CBD Wax?
There are actually several forms of CBD wax. Waxes differ from powders and crystals due to their texture, but ‘wax’ can also be an umbrella term for a few different concentrates. You may see CBD waxes listed under other names, such as the following:
- CBD Budder: Manufacturers produce budder using air pressure and extremely high temperatures. As you may guess from the name, budder has a similar consistency to butter; it’s fluffier and lighter than some other hemp waxes.
- CBD Shatter: This type of CBD wax gets its name because of the way it ‘shatters’ when touched. It has a more brittle texture than other waxes and is made by hardening the substance.
- CBD Crumble: Again, this wax gets its name because it crumbles. This wax is higher in moisture, ensuring that it gets that lovely, crumbly texture that’s a bit like a salad cheese.
- CBD Live Resin: Finally, there is live resin. First, manufacturers freeze-dry the hemp matter before extraction. This is vital because it preserves more of the cannabinoids, which is why concentrate aficionados view live resin as the best CBD wax.
Unless you’re a big fan of live resin, no CBD dab wax is really better than another. You can use whichever type you prefer.
Why Do People Use CBD Wax?
There are lots of advantages to CBD wax. Primarily, users enjoy hemp wax because it has a higher concentration of CBD than many other products. As with any concentrate product, CBD wax contains almost pure CBD. The best CBD wax products will contain upwards of 90% CBD, which is pretty impressive!
As a result of this high concentration, a little goes a long way with CBD wax. Although the containers tend to be small, you only need a tiny amount to dab effectively.
Another huge benefit is the effects of inhaling CBD. As vapers will know, inhaled CBD is thought to be more efficient than oral consumption. According to some estimates, the bioavailability of CBD vaping is up to 50%. Generally, researchers have found that it’s between 34-46%. This is incredible compared to edible CBD, which is estimated to offer between 4-20% bioavailability.
Bioavailability, by the way, refers to how much of a compound your body can use. So, if you take a 100mg CBD edible, your body can make use of 4-20mg. Vaping or dabbing, however, provides you with much more.
Similarly, dabbing offers faster effects than other methods. Users state that inhaled CBD can take effect rapidly, within just a couple of minutes.
Potential Drawbacks When Using CBD Wax
It’s not all sunshine and roses with CBD wax, though! There are some potential drawbacks, as is the case with every method of CBD consumption.
One of the issues is a counterpart to the rapid-acting efficiency of CBD dab wax: The effects wear off quickly. While edibles take a long while to kick in but may last longer, CBD dabs take effect rapidly but don’t last as long. As a result, CBD hemp wax is better for quick-acting, short-term effects.
Another drawback is that many CBD waxes are isolates. Those who wish to benefit from the entourage effect will have to search for other CBD products, as CBD waxes tend to only contain cannabidiol and nothing else. The purer they are, the more likely they are to be isolates.
How to Use CBD Wax
There are several ways to use CBD wax. The most common is dabbing, but in some instances, you can use a vaporizer.
- Dabbing: To dab, you’ll need a dab rig. This involves a heated nail that reaches a very high temperature. When you drop the wax onto the hot surface, it vaporizes to be inhaled. It requires a bit of know-how but is super simple.
- Bong: Those who are familiar with bongs might find this method the easiest. Simply pack the bowl with wax instead of dry herb, and inhale as you normally would.
- Vaping: Make sure you use a vaporizer that’s suitable for concentrates. This method is easy, but you need to check the product is compatible to get the best results.
Which Brand Sells the Best CBD Wax of 2020?
Choosing the best CBD wax of 2020 was quite difficult. Several brands now sell high-quality wax, but in the end, we narrowed it down to three:
- CBD Living
- Highland Pharms
We judged each brand’s CBD wax according to popularity, credibility, flavor, concentration, and price.
All three of the brands selected are reputable and high-quality, with a decent fan base. As a result, it was difficult to choose the most popular CBD wax out of these options. Out of the three, CBD Living has the fewest reviews on the official website, but those that are there are 4-5 stars.
Highland Pharms and CBDfx have tons of reviews on their websites, and their CBD waxes usually top out at five stars. Of course, it’s not always wise to trust reviews on the official website.
Highland Pharms isn’t listed on TrustPilot, but CBDfx is. There are currently only two reviews, and the only complaint is from a Romanian customer whose order was stopped at the border. As long as you’re a US customer, there seems to be no issue with CBDfx.
WINNER BY POPULARITY – CBDFX
Best for Credibility
Highland Pharms grows its hemp in Colorado on farms that use organic methods. This is all well and good, but are the products actually high-quality? According to the third-party lab reports, yes. The reports are available on the website and explain the CBD and THC content of each product.
Similarly, CBDfx has lab reports, and these ones are more detailed. The report for the wax confirms the high cannabidiol content and shows a lack of other cannabinoids, as can be expected. This report also details which lab carried out the tests.
CBD Living also provides super detailed lab reports, as well as information about the growing practices. The hemp is grown in Colorado on organic hemp farms. With all the information provided, we chose CBD Living as our winner.
WINNER BY CREDIBILITY – CBD LIVING
Best CBD Wax Flavor Range
CBDfx only sells one variety of CBD wax. It’s raw, which means it’s unflavored and doesn’t contain any terpenes. As a result, CBDfx is pretty much out of the running in this category.
Although Highland Pharms offers several types of CBD concentrate (including crumble, wax, and shatter), they all come in the natural flavor of hemp.
That’s why CBD Living wins the flavor category. This brand sells four wax shatters in the flavors of different cannabis strains, using terpenes to create these flavor profiles. They include Zkittles, Durban Poison, Gelato, and Orange Cookies.
WINNER BY FLAVOR – CBD LIVING
Best CBD Concentration
Since CBD waxes are highly concentrated, it can be quite tricky to find the one with the highest concentration and the best effects. However, all three of these brands sell different potencies.
CBDfx doesn’t specify the purity or concentration of CBD in the product description. However, the lab reports reveal that the 1g tub contains 289.85mg of CBD, which would usually be listed as 300mg.
All of the CBD Living options contain 500mg of CBD each, which is slightly higher.
Highland Pharms, meanwhile, has several options available, ranging from 30% to 95% purity. The Highland Pharms Shatter Extra contains 950mg of CBD plus terpenes from hemp, making it by far the most potent option available.
The Highland Pharms’ 95% option provides the most rapid effects out of the three, probably on account of the incredibly high potency.
WINNER BY CBD CONCENTRATION – HIGHLAND PHARMS
Best Budget Pick
CBDfx stocks the most expensive CBD wax option, costing $49.99 for approximately 300mg of CBD. Secondly, there is the Highland Pharms 30% (300mg) crumble for $49.95, making these options very similar in price.
CBD Living, however, offers the cheapest pick, with 500mg of CBD for just $30. To get a better comparison of value for money, let’s check out the price per milligram:
- CBDfx (300mg): $0.17 per milligram
- CBD Living (500mg): $0.06 per milligram
- Highland Pharms (300mg): $0.17 per milligram
- Highland Pharms (950mg): $0.1 per milligram
It’s quite clear that, as well as being the cheapest overall, CBD Living offers the best value for money.
WINNER BY BUDGET – CBD LIVING
So, there you have it. Our top brand for CBD wax in 2020 is CBD Living. This brand offers premium quality products from organic hemp in Colorado, providing four CBD waxes in different flavors. With a mid-range potency and lab reports to back up its claims, CBD Living’s waxes also offer the best value for money.
OVERALL WINNER – CBD LIVING
Check out CBD Living’s products by visiting the official website today.