For lovers of cheesecake, nothing beats the New York version. Believe it or not, however, a physician named Aegimus suggests that the ancient Greeks enjoyed the sweet treat back in the 5th century BC! Some historians believe that athletes at the first Olympic Games, in 776 BC, consumed the dessert.
We can trace the modern edition of cheesecake back to the 1700s, but the American version only took hold after 1872. It was in this year that William Lawrence accidentally invented a dense and creamy cheese when attempting to recreate a French cheese called Neufchatel.
As for the legendary New York cheesecake, we can probably thank German-born Arnold Rueben. He is also famous for developing the signature sandwich that bears his surname. After going to a party, he received a cheese pie. Rueben experimented with the dish, and from this tale, we get the New York Cheesecake!
The essence of the dessert is its reliance on sour or heavy cream. Typically, it is extremely rich, with a delightfully smooth, creamy, and dense consistency. The heavy/sour cream ensures the cheesecake is less likely to freeze. If you feel daring, mix the cream with vanilla extract and sugar, and put it in the oven for a twice-baked masterpiece!
These days, canna-cooking is extremely popular! Prospective chefs with a love of marijuana enjoy conjuring up a variety of weird and occasionally unusual dishes that contain the herb. In this article, we provide you with a quick and easy recipe for a 420 New York Cheesecake. The dessert isn’t the only thing getting baked today!
How to Make Cannabutter
The primary ingredient in a 420 New York Cheesecake and any other marijuana-infused edible is cannabis butter. You may believe it is a complicated and challenging endeavor, but in reality, all you’re doing is mixing weed with butter. It is necessary to decarboxylate the herb to activate cannabinoids such as THC and CBD. Otherwise, you end up with raw pot that offers little in the way of effects.
As far as ingredients go, you need a cup of butter for every half-ounce of weed. In case you are wondering, a cup of butter equals half a pound, eight ounces, or two sticks. If you want to include a full ounce of marijuana, use 16 ounces (four sticks) of butter.
Here Is a Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Cannabutter:
- Begin by spreading your ground nuggets, shake, or trim evenly onto a tray with baking paper. Preheat your oven to 240 Degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 115 Degrees Celsius) and bake for about 40-50 minutes. Your pot will turn out very dry, but this is the result you want.
- In a medium cooking pan, heat 1-2 quarts of water and allow it to get hot. Once ready, throw in your sticks of butter (2 sticks per half an ounce of weed). Keep the heat on medium-low to slowly melt the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add in those dank buds you decarbed in the oven. Stir the mixture from time to time. Allow it to cook at your lowest heat setting for 2.5 – 3.5 hours.
- When you slow cook the mixture adequately, take a cheesecloth and place it over a bowl big enough to hold your batch of butter. Pour the mixture over the cheesecloth and into the bowl carefully. Wrap the cheesecloth and give it a squeeze to extract any remaining oil.
- Let the mixture settle for about 45 minutes, then place it in the fridge to cool further. When you put this THC laden concoction in the refrigerator, the top layer will rise apart from the water over time. This is the part you are going to peel off once it’s completely separated. Be sure all extra water is scraped off, and store your fresh reefer extract in a jar or air-tight container.
Let’s Start Making Our 420 New York Cheesecake!
What You’ll Need:
- 15 Graham crackers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon cannabutter, melted
- 4 packages (8oz) of cream cheese
- 5 cups of white sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 small bar of milk chocolate
Making Your Reefer Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Thoroughly grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- Remember the mixing bowl you got out in the beginning? Mix Graham cracker crumbs with your melted butter and cannabutter. Press the mixture to the bottom of the springform pan.
- In a different bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in the milk, and mix in the eggs one at a time. Add the sour cream, vanilla, and flour, and mix until smooth. Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Bake for about an hour. Turn the oven off, and let it cool for 5-6 hours to prevent cracking. Place in a refrigerator to chill.
- Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat. Add a bit of the cream and stir until smooth.
- Pour on top or decorate and serve.
- Want to get blazed? Have two slices!
Strains such as Blueberry Cheesecake, Lemon OG Candy, and Chocolate Haze are ideal for this particular recipe!
Caution: Edibles Are Potent!
One of the great things about edibles is their versatility. Aside from making desserts such as the 420 New York Cheesecake, you can add your cannabutter to savory delights, or even in traditional breakfast, lunch, or dinner dishes.
However, newbies often make a crucial mistake when using edibles: They become impatient! The effects of edibles could take up to two hours to kick in fully! One of the worst things you can do is to eat a slice of this cheesecake, get frustrated at the seeming lack of impact, and eat extra slices!
When the high hits, it is powerful. If you overeat weed, the psychoactive effects are potentially overwhelming. Don’t ruin your first experience; respect the strength of the herb, and allow the results to come naturally.
Want to read more cool recipes? Check out the recipe section of the wayofleaf.com