It probably won’t come as much of a surprise to learn that Amazon has dipped its toes into the hemp oil market. But are these CBD oils the same kind of thing that you’d find in a medical cannabis dispensary?
It’s clear that the increase in CBD oil use over the past couple of years has given rise to dozens of new Amazon vendors. As a consumer, you need to make sure you know how to identify and pick out a quality CBD oil – something that is safe, laboratory tested, and that will work for your unique needs.
In this article, we talk about what these Amazon CBD (hemp) oils are, whether they’re therapeutically effective and whether they actually contain any CBD. First, though, let’s take a look at some variations that exist between different types of cannabis and hemp oils.
What’s the Difference Between Hemp Oil, Hemp Seed Oil, and CBD Oil?
Basically, there are two types of CBD oils: marijuana-derived CBD oil and hemp-derived CBD oil. Since both marijuana and hemp are types of cannabis plants, this has created a fair amount of confusion in terms of naming and product labeling.
CBD oils made from hemp must contain less than 0.3% THC. This is why many CBD oil companies can ship to all 50 U.S. states – because their products are hemp-derived. In contrast, CBD oils made from the marijuana plant and sold in dispensaries may have a much higher THC content.
CBD oils made from hemp and CBD oils made from marijuana may both have significant therapeutic benefits, including helping relieve pain and anxiety, helping with sleep issues, etc. So where do CBD oils on Amazon fall?
Understanding How “CBD Oil” on Amazon Works
If you go to the Amazon website search for ‘CBD oil,’ you’ll get thousands of results. Many of these products are advertised as “hemp oil supplements.” However, upon further investigation, you’ll notice none of them mention anything about CBD.
Instead, most of these oils are extracts of the hemp seed. As we mentioned earlier, manufacturers derive their CBD oil from either hemp or marijuana cannabis plants. No matter which plant they come from, they must use the flowers, leaves, stem, and stalks of the plant. These parts contain the CBD compound.
While hemp seeds are nutritious and helpful in their own right, they are not the same thing as CBD oil. This is why many of the product descriptions on Amazon don’t mention CBD content.
Amazon is also strict with its policy regarding CBD oil or anything cannabis-related. Basically, CBD oils for sale on Amazon are actually hemp seed oils–not the same thing at all as a true CBD oil.
We Analyzed Four of the “Best” CBD Oils on Amazon, and…
To show you what we’re talking about, we selected four top-selling products from a simple ‘CBD oil’ search. Of the four, three explicitly stated that they made the oil from seeds:
- “Each serving contains 83.3mg of our high quality, premium hemp seed oil supplement…”
- “Best Natural Hemp Seed Oil–Premium Colorado Seed Extract…”
- “BEST HEMP SEED OIL–Truly the best hemp seed oil for pain relief and anxiety since it targets the neurons and receptors for stress and tension…”
The one listing that didn’t reference where it came from also didn’t mention CBD content. Instead, the advertisement stated only that it contained 800mg. This could be 800mg of anything — and not necessarily CBD.
In conclusion, it’s best to not buy CBD oil on Amazon, as you’re not getting CBD. Rather, we’d shop around and look for a product that has a lab-verified CBD content. There are dozens of companies that sell online to all 50 states that can verify both purity and CBD content.
If you get a “CBD hemp oil” on Amazon, what you may get is a hemp seed oil. While it may be nutritionally beneficial, you may not feel any true therapeutic benefits.
So Are Amazon “Hemp Oils” Any Good?
We have not ordered or tried any of the hemp oils for sale on Amazon, so we’re not saying that they don’t work or that they’re not any good. What we can say is that they don’t appear to be actual CBD oils.
Here are two real customer reviews that we pulled from Amazon product pages:
- “Beware! This product has for the first ingredient grape seed oil, in my book that’s not 99.9 percent pure [hemp oil]. they fool you with the advertising. I won’t order this again.”
- “This is a SCAM!! This is hemp oil and grapeseed oil.. grape seed is the number 1 ingredient!! Hemp oil is $9.00 for 16oz at any us health food store and DOES NOT CONTAIN CBD OIL OR THE BENEFITS OF CBD !!”
To clarify, we are not trying to bash these products or say that hemp oil isn’t beneficial. Our goal is simply to inform you as a potential consumer what you should look for when purchasing oils.
CBD oil–that is to say real, quality CBD oil–is an amazing therapy that’s possibly helped thousands of people. We don’t want anyone to get a bad impression after buying a hemp oil that doesn’t have any CBD in it.
…Don’t Forget About the Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds Themselves!
Hemp seed oil has plenty of health benefits on its own. For example, it is rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids, including Omega-3 and Omega-6 acids. It can also be a good source of protein. It contains high amounts of vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc.
Final Thoughts on “Real” CBD Oil vs. Amazon Hemp Oil
So in summary, as far as we can tell there are not any “real” CBD oils for sale on Amazon. What these products seem to be are hemp seed oils that come from the seeds of the cannabis plant, and thus contain virtually no cannabinoids.
The products are also very careful about not using other cannabis-related words like ‘THC,’ ‘cannabinoids,’ ‘medicine,’ ‘therapy,’ and so on.
In order to get a true, quality CBD oil you’ll have to either get a medical marijuana card and buy from a dispensary, or order online from a quality manufacturer that offers lab-verified CBD content (see the table below for a few reputable brands).
- Full-spectrum Hemp extract
- No pesticides, solvents or chemical fertilizers
- 3rd party laboratory tested
- Price Range ($48.00 – $390.00)
- Full-Spectrum Extract (Made in USA)
- 100% Natural and Organic
- Contain no artificial flavors or preservatives
- Prices range ($48-$125)
- High-grade CBD formula
- All products are lab tested
- Made from organically grown hemp
- Price Range ($39-$139)
- CBDPure uses a chemical-free CO2 extraction process
- 3rd party laboratory tested
- Certified hemp grown in Colorado
- Price Range ($29.99 – $79.99)
- Huge selection of CBD products
- Implement natural hemp practices
- Lab tested potency and purity
- Price Range ($29 - $99)
- Free shipping on orders over $99
- Certificate of analysis for all products
- Seed-to-sale hemp-based CBD products
- Price Range ($19.99-$124.00)
- All CBD products follow Good Manufacturing Protocols
- Made from all-natural, non-GMO Colorado hemp
- Community-minded brand
- Local sourcing where possible
- Price Range ($29.99-$199.99)