Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts found in the digestive tract. They are essential in maintaining good gut health, as they help balance the ‘good’ and ‘bad’ bacteria.
While probiotics can be sourced from certain foods, many people are turning to probiotic supplements as a convenient way of fighting harmful bacteria.
However, choosing the best probiotic supplement has become a difficulty in itself. Not only is there a myriad of choices, but selecting high-quality products is a must.
To help you decide, we’ve compiled a list of the best probiotic supplements on the market.
Best Probiotic Supplements: What Are They?
Our gut consists of over 1,000 different types of flora. This colony of microorganisms contains helpful bacteria that support the immune system, aids digestion, and helps excrete waste.
However, sometimes imbalances can occur. Too many harmful bacteria can lead to digestive discomforts, such as bloating and stomach cramps, weight change, and fatigue.
That’s where probiotics come in.
As mentioned above, probiotics are a means of both maintaining or restoring bacterial balance in the gut. Many fermented foods are a natural source of friendly bacteria. This includes:
- Yogurt with live cultures
However, in some cases, these foods aren’t accessible or simply aren’t liked. That’s why probiotic supplements have become a popular alternative.
Keep reading to find out which brand tops our list for the best probiotic supplements.
The Best Rated Probiotic Capsules
In our selection of best probiotic brands, we’ve considered price, sourcing, reviews, strains, and colony-forming units (CFU).
- CFU: This measurement identifies the number of active microorganisms in each probiotic serving. According to the National Institutes of Health, the average supplement serving contains between 1 to 10 billion CFU. In general, this is considered a sensible amount of CFU as too many can cause mild discomfort.
- Strains: Specific bacteria species, such as Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus, are considered more beneficial than other less-known varieties. But it’s not just a case of how many strains a product contains but which strains a product contains. High-quality products should advertise this.
1) Best Overall – Culturelle’s Digestive Daily Probiotic Capsules
Culturelle tops our list of best probiotics for several reasons, not least because their capsules are free of milk, wheat, eggs, peanuts, and gluten.
Boasting a 10 billion CFU content, as well as 200mg of inulin, these capsules are intended to support the digestive system. The brand only sells probiotic products; their focused attention indicates that probiotics are an area of expertise.
While the Digestive Daily Probiotic Capsules spearhead their range, there are various other products on offer. Whether you’re looking for IBS support or probiotics with a higher CFU count, you can find it on their site.
- CFU Content: 10 billion
- Strains: Lactobacillus
2) Best Vegan – Doctor’s Best Digestive Health Probiotic
Probiotics are often associated with dairy products; however, there are plenty of premium plant-based alternatives. Best Vegan is proof of that.
Their probiotic capsules contain LactoSpore, which produces the bacterial strain Coagulans Bacillus. As well as surviving stomach acidity when consumed, the product can also be stored at room temperature.
The capsules are also soy and gluten-free.
On Best Vegan’s Amazon page, they publish probiotic research and clinical studies that customers can read before buying the supplement. This transparency sets a trustworthy tone between the seller and the buyer.
- CFU Content: 2 billion
- Strains: Coagulans
3) Most Affordable – Nature’s Bounty’s Ultra Strength Probiotic 10
Nature’s Bounty are supplement connoisseurs. Not only are their probiotic capsules one of the most affordable products on the market, but they also contain an impressive 20 billion CFU count.
Also, these capsules contain a variety of 10 strains, offering a full spectrum of bacteria. The company is aware that not everyone is comfortable swallowing capsules, so they provide probiotic gummies too.
At present, the company sells its probiotics on Amazon and CVS pharmacies throughout the US.
- CFU Content: 20 billion
- Strains: Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and eight more.
4) Best Probiotic Blend – Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics Original Formula
What’s better than a probiotic capsule? A probiotic, vitamin, and amino acid capsule, of course!
Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics Original Formula contains a huge variety of beneficial ingredients. The unique formula is designed to act as a prebiotic, probiotic, and postbiotic. So, not only are you introducing ‘good’ bacteria in the gut, but you are feeding it too.
The brand doesn’t publish their CFU content, which is unusual, but they insist that fermenting their prebiotics for at least three years is a superior method.
To maintain full quality control, Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics are free of artificial additives, chemicals, and animal by-products.
- CFU Content: N/A
- Strains: Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and ten more.
5) Best Strain Variety – Garden of Life’s Raw Probiotics Ultimate Care
When it comes to more, Garden of Life excels. Their Raw Probiotics Ultimate Care capsules contain a CFU count of 100 billion, much more than any brand on our list.
Additionally, the product contains 34 strains, as well as Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium.
The brand itself is passionate about supplying ‘whole foods’, as they call it. This translates to using high cultured foods such as Bulgarian yogurt and wild kefir as a starter for their probiotics.
Because of the high CFU, it’s recommended to monitor your body carefully after consuming the product for the first time.
- CFU Content: 100 billion
- Strains: Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and 32 more
Summary on the Best Probiotics
There’s no denying that finding probiotic supplements online is easy. However, understanding how they differ can take a little time.
Brands like Culturelle, which focus purely on probiotic products, offer variety, and monitor strain quality, will always be a popular choice. And with the myriad of positive reviews online, it is hardly surprising that they’re #1 on our list.
So, what is the best probiotic supplement? Like most things, the answer comes down to preference. Just make sure to always buy from a reputable brand.
If you’ve tried a great probiotic supplement and think it should be on our list, comment below.
- USDA certified organic probiotics
- “Trust Your Gut” collection offers high quality options
- Plant-based, vegan, gluten-free, and allergen-free
- Unique quiz to find the best products for you
- Three targeted probiotic formulations
- Clean, earth-friendly packaging and branding
- Organic certified selections
- Free shipping with subscribe and save
- Three quality gut health products available
- Specially designed to boost flora
- Some of the best value products on the market
- Top quality and purity
- Two primary probiotics to choose from
- Come in convenient gut supportive forms
- Clinical-grade and free from toxins
- Gluten free and vegan formulations
- Take a quiz to find the best products for you
- Standardized ingredients to clinically-proven quantities
- Free US shipping on orders over $50
- Potent probiotics for balanced gut flora
- Providing pure probiotics for optimum gut health
- Founded by a doctor
- Quality checked and controlled
- Stock from various reputable brands
- 7 specialized products to choose from
- Florassist range made with innovative bacteriophage technology
- Lab tested for purity and quality
- Price range $15.00-$25.00