It’s hard to beat a slice of warm apple pie dusted with sugar and served with cold vanilla ice cream. We’re drooling just thinking about it!
In fact, there’s only one way you can improve on a classic apple pie: Weed. We have crafted this tasty cannabis-infused apple pie recipe for the pleasure of your taste buds. Rather than opting for the classic pot brownie, this fruity apple pie adds something a little extra to your cannabis dessert. You can feel healthier thanks to the fruit content, yet still enjoy the sweetness of the crusty pastry.
Fortunately, apple pie is a pretty simple recipe. Even if you’re not a pastry chef, you’ll be able to successfully create a dessert that wouldn’t look out of place in a diner. So, without further ado, let’s get baking.
Gathering Supplies: What You Will Need for This Recipe
Aside from the ingredients, you’ll need an oven (obviously), and a deep pie dish. The deeper the fish, the more apples you can fit in!
The ingredients for this dish include two parts: 1) the crust and 2) the filling. In case you were wondering, the cannabis part comes in the form of a marijuana-infused crust. Yum!
- Caster Sugar, for both baking and sprinkling
- Cooking apples
- All-purpose flour
- Lemon zest
The cannabutter is where the cannabis enters this dish. If you don’t have any cannabis butter on hand, you can make some easily using your favorite strains. All you need is butter, water, marijuana, a grinder, and a pan.
DIY Cannabutter for Your Infused Apple Pie Crust
Firstly, grind up your marijuana buds coarsely. Then, melt the butter gently in a saucepan or crockpot; add the same amount of water. The water will keep the butter from burning (don’t worry, you can remove it later).
Add the ground cannabis to the pan, and stir it in. Make sure you keep the pan on a low heat throughout, stirring occasionally. You’ll need to cook the mixture for approximately three hours, allowing the cannabinoids to adequately infuse into the butter.
When it’s done cooking, strain it through a cheesecloth to remove the plant matter. Then, store it in the fridge until the butter hardens. At this point, you can tip the water out.
Want a more detailed guide on making cannabutter? Check this full-length article and video out:
Picking the Best Cannabis Strains for Apple Pie
At this point in the recipe, you might be wondering which strains you should choose to cook up your delicious apple pie. You can use any strain you like, depending on the desired effects. You won’t be able to taste the potent flavors of weed too much in the final product, so go crazy and pick your favorite.
That said, it’s always fun to find a strain that matches the flavor profile of your chosen dish. In this case, it’s apple pie, so a fruity strain will pair well with the flavors of the dessert. The fruity terpenes in some cannabis strains blend excellently with the sweetness of this tart dessert.
Here are WayofLeaf’s top two recommendations for our DIY apple pie cannabis recipe:
The Fruit Punch strain is a sativa-learning hybrid. It packs a potent THC content of around 24%, but very little CBD.
Users love this strain for its tasty flavors, which many compare to a tropical fruit smoothie. Or a fruit punch! There are berry overtones and hints of citrus, making this an overall moreish strain.
The effects are sativa at heart, as Fruit Punch induces creativity and euphoria. It’s a great social strain, which is why we love it in this apple pie recipe. Serve it up as dessert at a dinner party, and watch the sociality and relaxation wash over all your guests. Get ready for a fun night ahead!
You won’t be shocked to hear that Apple Sherbet is the perfect strain for this recipe. The flavors of this sativa-dominant hybrid are ones of apples and candy. There is also a slight tartness to take away from the sweet, making this strain taste like an apple dessert all by itself.
Once again, as a sativa, Apple Sherbet will have you feeling uplifted, energized, and euphoric. It may also induce a good degree of focus, so it’s renowned as a wake and bake option.
Any apple-tasting strain is ideal for this apple pie recipe, so Apple Sherbet is our winner, without a doubt.
Cannabis Apple Pie Serving Suggestions
Apple pie is best served hot, with the filling steaming as you slice it open. To prevent you from burning your tongue, add a side of vanilla ice cream. Not only will it cool your mouth down, but it also adds a delectable creaminess to the dish.
Alternatively, serve the apple pie after it has cooled down with a side of warm custard. You might even want to go the whole nine yards and create a tasty, cannabis-infused custard by combining canna-milk and vanilla extract in a pan, then adding egg yolk, cornflour, and sugar.
If you decide to use canna-custard, make sure the strains aren’t too strong. You don’t want to become overwhelmed by too many cannabis edibles!
How to Make Cannabis Apple Pie
Now for the best part: Making your cannabis apple pie! This recipe is not too difficult, but it still instills you with a sense of achievement when you pull a lovely apple pie out of the oven. Let’s get started.
For the pastry:
- 14oz all-purpose flour (plus extra for rolling)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 10oz cannabutter
- 2 eggs
- Zest of one lemon
For the filling:
- 5oz golden caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1lb 5oz cooking apples; peeled, cored, and sliced
- Make the pastry first by combining the flour, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl. Rub the butter in with dry fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Beat one of the eggs in a separate bowl, then add it to the pastry mixture. Stir it with a round-bladed knife until the mixture becomes a dough.
- Divide the pastry and set one-third aside; this will form the top of the pie. Take the remaining pastry and roll it on a lightly floured work surface. It should about 3cm thick.
- Press the pastry firmly into your pie dish and make sure there are no air bubbles. Place it somewhere in the refrigerator to chill for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 390˚F, and place a baking tray inside to preheat.
- Now, make the filling. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, and cornflour in a mixing bowl. Then, stir in the apples. After, pour the filling into the pie, making sure it rises above the edges.
- Beat the other egg, then brush the rim of the pie with the egg.
- Now take the other 1/3 of pastry and roll it out to make the pie lid. Cover the pie with the rest of the pastry and press the edges into a seal.
- Use a decently sharp knife to trim the excess pastry away, then press it into the edges to form a pattern around the edge. Finally, poke a few holes in the center with the tip of the knife. Glaze the top with the rest of the beaten egg.
- Knead the pastry trimmings and roll them out. Cut them into leaf shapes, then place these wherever you want on top of the pie, and glaze with more egg.
- Sprinkle approximately 1 tablespoon of golden sugar on top of the pie and bake in the center of the oven for 45-55 minutes.
Final Thoughts on Cannabis Apple Pie
Cannabis apple pie is one of our most delicious recipes yet! As always, we want to take a moment to remind you to be careful when using edibles. Although they’re a fun experience for you and your friends, keep the following in mind:
- ALWAYS tell your friends/guests that the food contains cannabis.
- Take it low and slow and only consume as much THC as you can handle.
- Remember that edibles can take hours to kick in. We know this pie is delicious, but refrain from eating the whole thing; you’ll regret it when the entire THC load hits you like a freight train.
Have you tried our cannabis apple pie recipe? Let us know how it turned out — and what strains you used — in the comments below!