CBD capsules aren’t discussed as often as other hemp-based CBD items like tinctures, but they probably should be. Capsules can offer several key advantages over other types of CBD products.
Like any hemp extract product, however, CBD capsules online vary significantly in terms of quality. In this guide, we pick out the best CBD capsules for 2023 based on six specific criteria.
What Are CBD Capsules & How Do They Work?
CBD capsules are pills infused with cannabidiol. CBD has recently become extremely popular as a general supplement. Proponents believe that it can support numerous biochemical functions via the endocannabinoid system. Therefore, it may benefit overall well-being and internal homeostatic balance for some individuals.
These days, most manufacturers draw the CBD and other cannabinoids from hemp plants. Typically, this is infused into a carrier oil such as MCT oil. In the case of capsules, the cannabinoid extract is often put into a tablet.
However, the best CBD pills come in the form of soft gels. The CBD oil is mixed with a gelatinous casing and molded into a tablet form with soft gels. They are simple to swallow and easy for the body to digest.
CBD capsules work similarly to CBD edibles. Since you consume them orally, they are broken down in the digestive system before the CBD can make its way into cells. As a result, the effects may take longer to kick in – but you may feel them for a longer period.
Many CBD users prefer capsules because they are tasteless and offer a familiar format to other supplements. Let’s explore the pros and cons in a brief, summarized list:
PROS AND CONS OF CBD CAPSULES
- Capsules are convenient and provide a pre-measured dose of CBD
- They represent a familiar method of taking supplements
- The best CBD capsules are available as soft gels, making them easy to swallow
- CBD capsules are ideal for carrying on the go
- Some capsules contain added ingredients that help to target specific ailments
- Capsules take longer to have an effect than other forms of CBD
- It’s more difficult to tailor the dose of CBD pills
- Sometimes, capsules are more expensive than tinctures
- Many capsules contain bovine gelatin, so they aren’t suitable for vegetarians and vegans
- As they are consumed orally, CBD capsules have a lower bioavailability rate than CBD oils taken sublingually or vaped cannabidiol
Why Do People Use CBD Capsules?
CBD capsules carry a myriad of benefits. Primarily, they offer a tasteless version of CBD oils. If you’ve tried CBD tinctures before, then you’re aware of the bitter hempy taste. There are flavored CBD oils on offer, but perhaps you don’t like the texture of the oil itself.
In contrast to tinctures, capsules are not only tasteless, but they’re also extremely convenient. They provide a pre-measured dose of CBD and you can carry a jar of CBD capsules on the go for usage at any time.
Another benefit is the ease of use. CBD capsules are easy to swallow, just like any regular pill. Pop one in your mouth, swallow with a drink of water, and that’s it! Once you get into a routine of taking a daily pill, it’s easy to keep track of how much CBD you use each day.
Do CBD Capsules Really Work?
It depends who you ask! Users of the best CBD oil pills are adamant they are effective in helping manage everyday stresses. Other proponents claim that CBD capsules enable them to enjoy a better sleep cycle. However, it is also true that capsules don’t work for everyone. Indeed, some people find that CBD itself is ineffective.
The effect of cannabidiol depends on various factors, including your body shape, size, metabolism, and whether or not you consume it on an empty stomach.
One downside of CBD capsules is the relatively low bioavailability. The term ‘bioavailability’ refers to the amount of a drug or substance absorbed and used by the body. According to research, the absorption rate of orally consumed CBD, such as capsules, is as low as 6%
Other studies have found that the bioavailability of CBD in animals is 13-19%. This is likely due to the first-pass effect, a phenomenon where a drug is metabolized at a specific location in the body. In contrast, research indicates that the bioavailability of CBD for smokers is 31%.
Other data suggests that cannabidiol absorbed intranasally, which means through the nose, has an absorption rate of between 34% and 46%.
Nonetheless, fans of CBD capsules are happy to swap bioavailability for convenience and potentially longer-lasting effects.
Don’t feel like reading the entire review? If you want to skip straight to the verdict, our team’s top pick for the absolute best CBD capsules of 2023 goes to PureKana. This company makes all of its products in the USA, and we have yet to come across a higher quality product.
Which Brand Sells the Best CBD Capsules?
Video Summary: The Best CBD Capsules for 2023
Finding the best CBD oil capsules was a challenging task as hundreds of brands sell them. However, our detailed CBD capsules review ensures you get to narrow down the field quickly. Keep reading to find out six of the best CBD capsule sellers in the industry for specific categories.
BEST PICK FOR MULTI-PURPOSE USE
The PureKana range includes:
- 30 x 25mg CBD capsules
- 30 x 40mg CBD capsules
- 30 x 25mg CBD PM Capsules with 5mg of melatonin
- 30 x 15mg CBD AM Capsules with 78mg of caffeine
- 30 x 10mg CBD Immune Capsules with Zinc, Vitamin A & Vitamin D
PureKana products are made from USA-grown hemp, and the THC content is always less than 0.3%. At the time of writing, the company is the #1 pick for the best American-made CBD products. The brand offers updated lab reports for each batch of products, and its capsules are certified organic, non-GMO, and contain no solvents, chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides.
You can use the AM capsules to get a burst of energy in the morning or the PM capsules to help you sleep. PureKana only uses pure CBD and gives customers more capsule options than almost any other brand.
BEST PICK FOR CBD SOFTGELS
Premium Jane keeps things simpler than PureKana, but the result is the same high-quality CBD capsules. This brand has elected to focus on easy-to-swallow softgels. You can buy Premium Jane’s product in 30-count containers with either 25mg or 40mg of CBD per softgel.
What’s apparent from customer reviews online is how quickly these softgels act and how long the effects last. While many capsules have a noticeable effect for perhaps six hours, some consumers claimed Premium Jane’s CBD softgels worked for up to 10 hours. This product sells fast, so place your order on the company’s official website today.
BEST PICK FOR XL QUANTITY
CBD Essence has an impressive number of products, and its CBD capsules are among the company’s best sellers. The brand’s full-spectrum CBD capsules also contain CBG, CBN, and CBC and come in four sizes:
- 30 capsules
- 60 capsules
- 90 capsules
- 120 capsules
Each capsule contains 35mg of CBD, which is extracted from organically grown industrial hemp plants. The hemp oil used to make CBD Essence’s capsules is EU-certified. Other ingredients include organic virgin coconut oil and organic sunflower lecithin in a liposomal formula.
BEST PICK FOR THC-FREE CAPSULES
Joy Organics offers CBD softgels in various sizes and formulations. You can purchase a 30-count bottle of THC-free capsules containing either 10mg or 25mg of CBD apiece. The higher CBD concentration options are available in two different formulations; curcumin for healthy joints and melatonin for help with sleep.
Joy Organics CBD capsules are also formulated using water-soluble nano-emulsion technology. As a result, more of the active cannabidiol ingredient is delivered to areas of your body that need it without being lost to degradation or digestive breakdown. Using its unique blend of broad-spectrum (zero THC) CBD oil, Joy Organics CBD capsules are ideal for anyone looking to manage a stressful, hectic lifestyle.
- Want to learn more about Joy Organic? Read our full Joy Organics Brand Breakdown
BEST PICK FOR VARIETY
Elixinol is based in Colorado and brings decades of experience to the table. The brand offers several CBD capsules varieties, including Daily Balance, Omega Turmeric, and Calm Stress Support formulas. These capsules utilize full-spectrum CBD extract, so you consume a multitude of cannabinoids and terpenes along with other plant-based ingredients.
It also offers Active Body and Tranquility capsule bundles which contain several of its formulations in one package. We highly recommend starting with one of these, as you get to test out a few Elixinol formulas with a single purchase.
BEST PICK FOR POPULARITY
The ‘CW’ stands for Charlotte’s Web, and CWHemp is undeniably one of the world’s most famous CBD brands. It is also one of the few sellers to offer CBD capsules in several strengths and sizes:
- 8mg Full-Strength capsules – 30-count
- 15mg capsules – 30, 60 or 90-count
- 18mg Extra-Strength capsules – 30 or 60-count
- 25mg capsules – 30, 60 or 90-count
CWHemp’s oil capsules contain CBD, extra virgin olive oil, and a Hypromellose vegetable capsule. By consuming CWHemp’s range of capsules, you’re also enjoying an array of beneficial cannabinoids, along with terpenes, flavonoids, and phytochemicals. If you’re serious about enjoying the benefits of CBD, CWHemp has some of the best capsules on the market.
How Do Companies Create Pure CBD Capsules?
Capsules, pills, and CBD soft gels are slightly different in a technical sense. However, these terms are often used interchangeably. Understanding differences in terminology can help point you in the right direction when choosing a product.
- Pills: A pill is a pressed powder form. These are often the cheapest but may also carry an unpleasant taste. It’s rare to find a CBD pill.
- Capsules: This format includes a plastic-like coating with liquid or powder contained within. Capsules are prone to leaking but are sometimes easier to swallow than pills.
- Soft Gels: For many users, these represent the best CBD capsules. The CBD oil is suspended in a hardened, gelatinous casing. These won’t leak like a capsule, but they can melt in excessively hot temperatures.
Many agree that CBD softgels are the most popular option because they’re the easiest to swallow. Plus, they break down well in the body, potentially ensuring high efficiency when taking CBD.
To make soft gels, manufacturers infuse CBD oil into the gelatinous mixture. Some brands use gelatin, but others use vegetable glycerin to make vegan-friendly capsules. You may also notice MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) in the ingredients; these come from the CBD oil base.
Creators of CBD premium capsules tend to add few extra ingredients to their products. However, some brands believe additional ingredients can enhance the effectiveness of their capsules.
What About Additional Ingredients?
Many of the best CBD pills for sleep contain infusions of melatonin. A small amount of melatonin can help you to fall asleep at night, so manufacturers will add a couple of milligrams alongside the CBD.
Another option is turmeric. The best CBD capsules for pain may contain turmeric as it is an anti-inflammatory. As a result, it could help to ease mild aches caused by inflammation.
Some brands add extra vitamins and minerals. Any CBD capsule that contains hemp seed oil likely contains amino acids and essential vitamins. Be certain to always check the ingredients to ensure you’re buying the best CBD capsules to suit your needs. Although we hope the six brands we chose above save you time, you may decide to explore CBD capsules for yourself. If you go down this route, there are a few things you need to know.
Things to Consider When You Buy CBD Capsules
When we looked for the best CBD capsules for sale, there were a few extremely important considerations.
- Third-Party Lab Reports: Don’t purchase any CBD product unless it has a Certificate of Analysis (COA) from a reputable third-party lab. A COA will include proof that the capsules contain no mold, pesticides, heavy metals, residual solvents, or other chemicals. They should also include data on the level of cannabinoids in the product, specifically the amounts of THC and CBD. Finally, avoid brands with outdated COAs.
- Hemp Source: Avoid CBD oil capsules for sale from brands that don’t outline where they get their hemp from. Stick with companies that use hemp cultivated in the United States or the European Union. Remember, your CBD capsules should contain a maximum of 0.3% THC.
- No Health Claims: Steer clear of any company that makes wild claims about the efficacy of its products. CBD is not FDA-approved, so it is against the law to say it treats, cures, diagnoses or prevents any medical condition.
- Extraction Method: Although some high-quality brands use ethanol extraction, most companies opt for solventless CO2 extraction. It tends to provide a cleaner final product. However, proponents of ethanol extraction say it is better for creating CBD with more terpenes and cannabinoids.
CBD Capsules: Final Verdict
Although CBD oil remains the #1 method of cannabidiol consumption, the market share of CBD capsules is growing. While capsules provide a lower bioavailability rate than other consumption methods, they are convenient and ensure you can enjoy CBD with no taste. The cannabidiol amount is pre-dosed, so you know precisely how much you’re using.
We listed six excellent companies that sell CBD capsules, but in the end, we chose PureKana as our top-rated brand. We feel that it offers the best combination of milligram strength, reliability, transparency, and overall value for the price you’re paying.