Sciatica is a symptom of several other underlying problems, such as a lumbar herniated disc or spinal stenosis. Generally, sciatica describes pain that travels through the large sciatic nerve.
Recent estimates suggest that up to 40% of US adults will experience sciatic pain at some point in their lives. It’s common to use prescription painkillers to treat the issue, but such medication can lead to adverse side effects and the risk of addiction.
Nowadays, the use of CBD oil for sciatica has grown to the point where some consider it a viable alternative for pain management.
Keep reading to learn how CBD oil impacts sciatica and what our Wayofleaf’s best picks are.
- Sciatica affects many American adults at some point in their lifetime.
- There are numerous potential causes of sciatic pain, and knowing the root cause is essential in finding proper treatment.
- CBD has been touted as a potential option for the treatment of sciatica. Proponents believe that it has fewer adverse effects than traditional prescription medications.
- The WayofLeaf team investigated some of the top CBD brands to find out which products might be best for managing sciatica.
Not in the mood to read the entire review? Check out our Wayofleaf’s Pick for our team’s #1 overall selection:
|Brand name||Medterra||PureKana||Green Roads|
|Duration of Effects||8.5/10||8/10||8/10|
|Online Customer Reviews||9/10||9/10||8.5/10|
|Link to Purchase||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE|
|Coupon Code||15% off: MB15||20% off: 20KANA||10% off: 10OFFCBD1|
|Full Brand Review||Read Full Review||Read Full Review||Read Full Review|
Best CBD Oils for Sciatica 2023: One Thing We Liked About Each Brand
|1.||Medterra||Fastest-acting and most effective pain relief. Shop the Medterra range||9/|
|2.||PureKana||PureKana’s pain relief topicals are super fast-acting and get the job done. However, they slightly missed out on a top score due to the need to top up fairly often. Shop PureKana today||8.8/|
|3.||Green Roads||The Green Roads Pain Relief Roll-On is incredibly convenient and is perfect for regular top-ups. Shop the full Green Roads collection||8.5/|
|4.||Tommy Chong’s||If you’re looking for a quality product for general CBD usage with some added pain relief, Tommy Chong’s muscle balm is a great pick. Tommy Chong’s CBD range.||8.5/|
|5.||Premium Jane||The best option for a luxury feel with skin-loving ingredients. Premium Jane CBD Topical Salve||8.8/|
Top 5 Best CBD Products for Sciatica Reviews
Medterra is renowned as one of the best brands in the USA, and it also sells in the UK, Europe, and Japan. The “Recovery” section on the brand’s website is full of pain-relieving products, including the Pain Relief Cream, Pain Relief Roll-on, Rapid Recovery Cream, and several more. The Pain Relief Cream and its roll-on counterpart are both great options for sciatica, featuring arnica and menthol for effective pain relief. They come in multiple strength options of 500mg and 1000mg. Medterra truly has all your needs covered when it comes to relieving pain.
- Several product options are available in numerous forms, including roll-ons, creams, and lotions.
- Different strength options are available, so you can pick the one that suits your needs.
- Reasonably priced products and regular sales.
- Additional ingredients such as arnica and menthol support the natural pain-relieving properties of CBD.
- All of Medterra’s products are isolates, so they are not the best option for those seeking full-spectrum.
- Unlike some other brands, Medterra doesn’t currently have a discount program for disadvantaged groups.
As one of the most reputable USA brands, PureKana has gone from strength to strength with its product line. Its tinctures excel with their high-strength options, but it also has a substantial collection of pain-relief products. The CBD + CBG relief ointments are ideal for all types of pain, and the transdermal patches have also recently captured attention.
- There are many novel products to choose from, including transdermal patches and bath bombs.
- Additional ingredients, including CBG and menthol, are included to boost the pain-relieving properties.
- Multiple roll-on options are available, ensuring fast and effective pain relief without any mess.
- Excellent lab testing to ensure every product is safe and reliable.
- Some of the products are a little more expensive than other available options.
Green Roads is an old hand in the CBD industry, launching way back in 2013. The company has grown exponentially since then, famed for its gummies and tinctures that have far-reaching effects. The brand’s pain relief range includes various options, including the CBD Heat Relief Roll-On, Arthritis Pain Relief Roll-On, and Pain Relief Cream. Green Roads excels in high-quality ingredients and products that work, which is why it had to feature on our list of products for sciatica.
- The effective products deliver quick relief.
- Green Roads has an excellent reputation in the CBD industry that it has built up over several years.
- Lab-tested products and excellent reviews.
- The products are relatively expensive, given the potency.
“I put my name on it, so you know you can trust it,” is the quote from Tommy Chong that greets users on this brand’s website. Tommy Chong’s CBD focuses on nano-technology to create effective products for various purposes. This brand is excellent for numerous reasons, not least the celebrity endorsement and exceptional ingredients. While the tinctures are perfect for general usage, Tommy Chong’s also sells pain relieving products such as freeze gel and muscle balm.
- A top-notch research team pushes boundaries to create unique products featuring nano-CBD made using a cold-fill process.
- The unique products can suit a range of needs.
- The products are full-spectrum and contain a variety of beneficial ingredients.
- Smaller pain-relief collection than some other brands.
- The lab tests are not posted online.
Premium Jane is a brand genuinely deserving of its name: premium. The products are all made using American-grown hemp and reliable manufacturing processes. From CO2 extraction to cGMP-certified facilities, Premium Jane goes above and beyond every time. This brand has an exceptional collection of topicals, and while they are not explicitly geared toward pain relief, they are ideal for general use. The CBD Topical Salve is a fantastic pick for a more luxurious feel, and it will also outlast temporary pain for use as a moisturizer.
- Premium Jane has incredible manufacturing and production processes that make for high-quality products.
- Ideal for a luxurious feel that makes CBD something to enjoy and look forward to.
- Excellent customer reviews.
- The CBD Topical Salve also contains CBG isolate, which may help reduce inflammation.
- Some of the products are pretty expensive.
- There are no added ingredients for pain relief.
WAYOFLEAF’S CHOICE: Why Medterra Makes the Best CBD for Sciatica
Often, people with sciatica seek a straightforward and effective solution – the bells and whistles are not necessarily the most critical factor. Medterra is our top pick for pain relief because its products get straight to the point.
Medterra has a long and successful history in the CBD industry, and its straightforward approach is perhaps why. It uses American hemp grown in Kentucky and processed through CO2 extraction to make its CBD products. The other ingredients are similarly high-quality.
The brand’s Recovery range features multiple products, and here at WayofLeaf, we think it’s vital for customers to have a choice. CBD is different for everyone, and those with sciatica might find varying approaches effective. While the Rapid Recovery CBD Cream Roll-On might work for one person, the CBD + Manuka Honey Cream could benefit another.
Alongside high-quality ingredients and effective products, the brand has a fantastic reputation. Anecdotal evidence of pain relief from their product reviews goes alongside stellar reports about customer service.
On the whole, Medterra seems like the ideal brand to shop with, no matter what you’re seeking.
Conventional Treatments for Sciatica
Since various medical conditions can cause sciatica, there is also an enormous range of potential treatments. Some individuals find relief through lower-back stretches and body strengthening workouts like yoga. Others are left with no alternative but to rely on heavy-duty prescription painkillers.
When the pain stems from inflamed tissue coming into contact with the sciatic nerve, alternating hot and cold packs may be effective. Over-the-counter drugs like ibuprofen may work as well.
Physical therapy is also an efficient treatment, and in some instances, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can work. With CBT, patients are trained to react differently to pain sensations. While an interesting approach, results can be hit or miss.
In severe cases, surgery is an option. Procedures like lumbar laminectomies (widening the vertebrae to minimize pressure on the nerve) have been effective in some instances. Discectomies (removal of slipped discs) can also work. In any instance, surgery is a last resort.
CBD oil has become a popular alternative for individuals who want to avoid heavy-duty medications.
CBD Oil for Sciatica: A Realistic Alternative?
Compared to prescription drugs, CBD oil is less expensive and has fewer adverse effects. So, is CBD oil a potentially effective remedy for sciatica?
To understand the specific physiological role of CBD in the body, we first need to understand the basic role of the endocannabinoid system as it relates to pain sensation and pain management in the central nervous system.
In 2017, a peer-reviewed study showcased the physiological functions of endocannabinoids as therapeutic pain modulators.
The researchers wrote that everyone has an innate network of endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors. The network helps modulate the pathways of nociception – the body’s response to harmful stimuli.
In abnormal circumstances (such as a herniated disc), the endocannabinoid system becomes overwhelmed. As a result, it cannot perform at its regular efficiency rate. This is when – and why – we experience unbearable pain. It is also when the therapeutic effects of CBD may become useful.
CBD appears to act as a “reinforcement” to the body’s natural pain management system. As a cannabinoid itself, CBD increases the number of pain modulators available to initiate a response to harmful stimuli.
Additional research has also investigated CBD’s impact on pain and noted a positive correlation. Researchers found that CBD can alleviate neuropathic pain.
Individuals wanting to try CBD for sciatica pain only want the best; check out the WayofLeaf team’s best picks in more detail above.
Hopefully, this review of the best CBD products for sciatica gave you an insight into the top picks on the market. Many CBD brands sell high-quality pain-relief products, but we think these five brands offer something exceptional.
Medterra was our winner for the best all-around product due to its range of effective pain-relief items. In particular, the roll-ons seem to be popular among reviewers with back pain. Try the range today by heading to the official Medterra website.