It’s no secret that the marijuana industry has well and truly boomed over recent years, with 2018 being the most significant year to date for the plant. Across America alone, there are now ten states that allow for the recreational use of cannabis, with a further 33 states allowing for cannabis use medicinally.
When it comes to CBD, the non-psychoactive compound of the cannabis plant, we have seen sales rise considerably! With this increase in popularity, it is no wonder that online sales have shot up, with more people looking for ways to make money, and gain access to high-quality produce.
So what do you need to know if you are looking to sell cannabis or CBD online? Today we are going to be focusing on the popular global marketplace known as Etsy, and what you need to know if you are looking to sell or buy either cannabis or CBD on this selling platform.
Who are Etsy?
Etsy is an online selling platform driven towards community and putting personalization back into exchanges. From the weird and wonderful to vintage classics, Etsy is the online home to thousands of independent businesses, sellers and companies looking to share their passion with interested buyers.
Considered to be more of a community than a nameless selling platform, Etsy has some strong ethics that most users would appreciate when it comes to handling financial deals. It is perhaps due to Etsy’s strong reputation that many people who are looking to get access to CBD or cannabis may take to this site for high-quality and trustworthy products.
Are Cannabis and CBD Permitted for Sale on Etsy?
The short answer to this would be no. However, if you are looking to sell CBD or cannabis online, you may want to read up on why Etsy is currently not permitting the sale of these substances at this moment.
The website states that they prohibit certain substances on their site, based on varying laws and regulations associated with them. Although this is subject to change in line with changes in law for the time being, these are the facts around the sale of CBD or marijuana on Etsy:
- Alcohol, tobacco, drugs, drug paraphernalia and medical drugs, are prohibited on Etsy.
- These substances face serious legal restrictions and in many cases are considered controlled substances under applicable law.
- This policy also is applied to other substances deemed to be intoxicating or are claimed to have healing effects.
- Legalities aside, Etsy’s ethics do not line up with these types of products being sold on their platform.
What Does This Mean for Sellers?
Etsy makes their stance on the sale of cannabis or CBD pretty clear in their website policies; however, if you are already posting products on Etsy that are for sale, or intend to do so, this is what you need to know:
- The sale of CBD or cannabis, along with other prohibited substances is banned and will be removed from the website by the administration. This means that although you may be able to get your product up onto the platform for sale, it will be removed. This also goes for those looking to buy cannabis or CBD on Etsy and should bear this in mind when parting with money for a product you have seen for sale.
- Anyone selling either marijuana or CBD on Etsy will lose their listing fees, and these are non-refundable
- Etsy has the rights to suspend or terminate your account if you are violating their policies.
- Etsy can remove a listing at any time, regardless of where it is up to in the selling process.
Round-Up: Think Twice Before Selling CBD or Cannabis on Etsy
While many sites offer reputable CBD products online, Etsy is not currently one of them, and due to their ethical standpoint aren’t looking to become one any time soon. For those looking to sell their CBD or cannabis, we recommend looking into alternative methods and checking all laws for your state before doing so.
Hopefully this has shed some light on the CBD and cannabis policies on Etsy, however, if you have any queries, please leave them in the comments below!